I downloaded my certificate and was working on configuring an Office Web App Server 2013 Farm. As I was running the New-OfficeWebAppsFarm cmdlet, I received an error as I was using Subject Name of the certificate for the –CertificateName option as shown here, along with the results of the command saying that it doesn’t work.
New-OfficeWebAppsFarm : Office Web Apps was unable to find the specified certificate.
At line:1 char:1
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (:) [New-OfficeWebAppsFarm], ArgumentException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CertificateNotFound,Microsoft.Office.Web.Apps.Administration.NewFarmCommand
The option wants the Friendly Name for the certificate, but the certificate didn’t have one. In the Friendly Name field, if you looked at the Certificate by using the Certificates MMC, it showed “<None>” in the field.
The installation docs are pretty clear that it is supposed to be the Friendly Name. Hey, what can I say other than, I just wanted to try and see if it would accept another method of identifying the certificate in the store if there isn’t a Friendly Name. So, I tried using several different variations for the Friendly Name. I tried leaving it blank, I tried using a space between quotes, and I tried a few other methods, but none of them worked. It was kind of a bit of fun on my part to see if I could make it work.
Finally, I broke down, and selected the properties of the certificate in the MMC and entered OWAS. Of course, it worked perfectly when I used that Friendly Name.
Yeah, I could have saved a couple of minutes if I had taken this step earlier, but I really enjoy experimenting.